Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Classic Penne Carbonara


This dish is perfect for weeknights, the whole thing only takes as long as it takes to make the pasta & who doesn’t love a bit of carbonara every now & then. This recipe is taken from Jamie Oliver’s Happy Days & I like the variation of pancetta instead of bacon, very nice indeed!

Classic Penne Carbonara

500g dried penne
10 slices of pancetta
olive oil
5 egg yolks
100ml double cream
125g parmesan, grated
freshly ground black pepper

Cook the penne in salted boiling water until al dente. Meantime, slowly fry the pancetta in a little olive oil until crispy, break it up & leave aside. In a bowl, whip up the egg yolks, cream & half the cheese. When the pasta is cooked, drain & then immediately toss through the egg mixture & pancetta. Season to taste & serve with remaining cheese

7 comments:

Julia said...

Hi!
Yes, looks really delicious! Real comfy food, right? :)
Just discovered your blog, looks great – many Jamie recipes, I love Jamie!
I’ve just started my own blog - TastingLife.
I really hope you'll check it out sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Jamie, Jamie, how we love you.

Did you check out the earlier Jamie recipes on my site?? I went Jamie mad a few months back!

Ange said...

Pam, Yeah I tend to go through phases, at the moment I'm craving a lot of pasta & comfort food which I find Jamie does so well...Will go & revisit your site for some inspiration on his dishes I havent tried yet

neil said...

That looks so yummy, I bet you were well comforted. Now with five egg whites left over there must be some pretty pav pictures coming soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks superb! Yet another of those hearty winter dishes...*sigh* another good thing about the coming warmer months is that I won't be tempted to make such fat and carb loaded dishes :/ I tried a detox diet last week...lasted 2 days!

Orchidea said...

Hi. I like Jamie, I think he cooks Italian food just as you are supposed to but I have to say this recipe is not correct... I am Italian and I find very often Pasta alla Carbonara abroad made in the wrong way.
The rigth ingrediends are: pasta, pacetta affumicata (smoked pancetta), egg yolks, Parmigiano cheese, salt, extra-virgin olive oil. NO cream!!!
Take away the cream, put smoked pancetta and your recipe is perfect.
Ciao.

kali said...

Hi Ange,
I've only just come across your site and am very impressed. I lent one of my Jamie Oliver cookbooks to a friend and never got it back. I've been searching the net for his Classic Penne Carbonara for a while and have finally found it here! I'm currently the cook for 5 men and myself on a job out in the country, so added some chicken and mushrooms for more of a fill, was a big hit. Thanks!