Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Maccaroni Cheese My Way!


Maccaroni cheese to me has to be made with this recipe the way I used to have it at home when I was growing up. There is nothing whatsoever fancy about the dish, in fact it even uses a block of Kraft cheddar that you buy of the shelf – yes you know the one in the blue packet – not even sure if you can call it real cheese, but for the recipe to be authentic you have to use this. This is my ultimate comfort food & I try to restrict myself to one batch each Winter it is so bad for you. I think that may be part of the appeal, wicked=bloody good every time if you ask me. Trust me, one mouthful of this carb filled, cheeze oozing goodness & you will be hooked forever

Macaroni Cheese

500g Macaroni
30g butter
2 bacon rashers, shopped
250g grated kraft cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup plain flour
2 ¼ cups milk
¼ tspn dry mustard
3 tomatoes, sliced
breadcrumbs

Cook macaroni & set aside. Meantime fry chopped bacon. Add butter, stir in flour, mustard, salt & pepper & cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk until sauce boils & thickens. Stir in ¾ cheese & macaroni. Place in a casserole dish & top with sliced tomatoes, breadcrumbs & remaining cheese. Bake in oven preheated to 180c for approx 30 minutes or until tomatoes cooked, and cheese browned.

2 comments:

Chris Muss said...

that looks really good.

Anonymous said...

Hallo winter comfort food! I've never made this myself but I should probably give it a go at some stage - so easy, quick and satisfyingly filling!