Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weekend Brunch


I’ve had a bit of a sweet breakfast craving thing going on lately so when I caught up with Rach this weekend I thought I would make it brunch so I could try out a recipe I have had my eye on for a while. This sweet French toast that I whipped up was based on a recipe in Delicious magazine, it is a recipe from Sydney café Two Good Eggs. If the rest of their food is as good as this turned out then I recommend all you Sydney siders pay a visit soon. I didn’t have any blackberries handy so I made a blueberry sauce instead, after all banana & blueberry is a fantastic combination too. It was pretty impressive & the thing I liked was that unlike the usual pan fried French toast, once you pop it in the oven you can forget about it until its time to slice up & serve. Very delicious.

Banana stuffed French toast with berry sauce

4 eggs
240ml pure (thin) cream
1 load sourdough bread
2 bananas, thickly sliced on an angle
Thick Greek-style yoghurt, toasted almond flakes & pure maple syrup, to serve

Berry sauce
100g fresh or thawed frozen blackberries or blueberries

Preheat oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with baking paper & grease well.

For the sauce, place berries, sugar & ¼ cup (60ml) water in a small pan over medium low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.

Place the eggs & cream in a bowl & whisk until combined, transfer to a large jug. Trim the ends off the bread & slice into 8 even slices – not touching the bottom. Tuck 2-3 banana slices into every second cut. Place the loaf into a large dish & slowly pour the egg mix over the loaf, being sure to pour between all the slices for proper soaking. Pour any excess batter back in jug & repeat until all absorbed. Transfer to the tray & bake for 30 minutes or until golden.

Cut into 4 sandwiches & serve with a dollop of yoghurt, nuts, maple syrup & berry sauce.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Berry sauce is the best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Cool - this is the first sweet french toast I've come across!

Cakelaw said...

This looks great Ange - perfect to warm you up during the current miserable weather.

Anonymous said...

I like the sound and look of this. I shall mark this on my to do list.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a version of this which I've made. Instead of banana in the middle put slices of brie or camabert with sliced fresh strawberries.

Donna said...

Hello! I came from Rosie's...Have You heard from her?? She hasn't posted in such a long time and I was hoping Someone knows what's wrong!! Thanks!

Ange said...

Hi Donna, sorry I have no idea what has happened to Rosie, hopefully she is just caught up in life. I guess you've tried sending her a message?