Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Cookbook Challenge - Week 13 - Love


This weeks theme for The Cookbook Challenge is love.  I had to have a good think before I knew how I wanted to interpret this one.  Rather than going for the obvious Valentines Day romantic commercial love that was probably the most obvious I wanted to cook something I LOVE cooking for someone I LOVE.  This could have been many different foods for many different reasons.  I finally settled on pancakes, they have to be my favourite breakfast indulgence & cooking someone breakfast is an act of love, dinner has to be eatan & cooked pretty much every night apart from the occasional take-away or night out, lunch somehow gets scraped together most days (usually vegemite & cheese sandwich I have to admit), however breakfast which is normally cereal, either out of a box or my home made muesli, is very special when I go to the trouble to actually cook up something. 

Chloe loves pancakes, thats right Chloe got the love not Michael this time sorry, so I settled on Bill Granger's (the king of brekky), Oaty Hotcakes with Caramel bananas from Feed me Now.  Somewhat healthy hotcakes topped with absolutely wicked & drool worthy bananas, need I say anymore other than you have to try these out for yourself.


Oaty Hotcakes with fruity toppings - from - Bill Granger - Feed Me Now

Hotcakes
185g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
25g rolled oats
375ml buttermilk
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
35g butter, melted, plus extra to grease pan

To make the hotcake batter, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt together in a bowl.  Stir the sugar and oats through then make a well in the centre.  Pur in the buttermilk & egg, stirring until just mixed.  Add the melted butter & stir to combine.  Set aside.

(At this time I made up the caramel bananas so they were ready as soon as the pancakes were cooked.)

To cook the hotcakes, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat & brush a little butter over the base.  Pour in 2 or 3 small ladlefuls of batter, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Transfer to a plate & keep warm while cooking the rest (or serve up to hungry nearly 3 year olds while you get on with the rest).

Caramel bananas

3 bananas
60g butter
90g brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Halve the bananas lengthways & cut each piece into 3.  Put the butter, sugar, vanilla & 3 tablespoons water in a large frying pan over medium heat & cook until the mixture forms a caramel and darkens.  Add the bananas and toss through until well coated.

6 comments:

CBH said...

Hi Ange

This sounds delicious and perfect breakfast food. I agree with your comments on lunch & dinner, a yummy cooked b'fast is always an indulgence. I might even do this for Steve & me soon.

Christine

SomethingByKate said...

Hey Ange, looks like Bill is love! I used Bill Granger for my Love theme too :)

Looks great, I love pancakes. Bill's ricotta hotcakes are pretty spesh too.

Ange said...

Hi Kate, yes BILL = LOVE

Hi Christine, so did you make the hotcakes for Steve yet? Hope he enjoyed if you did, Michael did like my leftovers

April @ My Food Trail said...

I LOVE how you interpreted this week's theme! :) I wish my mum would cook me such delicious looking pancakes!

Unknown said...

These are making me drool. I've been lucky enough to eat his pancakes in his restaurant in Sydney, and these look just as good! Leigh

penny aka jeroxie said...

I love Bill's ricotta pancakes. Yours looks fluff and yum!